The organised labour union just suspends the planned nationwide industrial action scheduled to commence today Tuesday. The initial plan was to press home workers’ demand for a new national minimum wage by embarking on strike.
The planned indefinite strike which supposed to commence today, demands for an upward review of the minimum wage from N18,000 to N30,000.
However, the outcome from a meeting of the tripartite committee set up by the federal government, NLC president, Ayuba Wabba. Reportedly, decision reached suspends the planned nationwide industrial action after agreements and documents were signed.
After a meeting that lasted for over seven hours, the two teams arrived at different figures.Though labour insisted on N30,000 while the government delegation proposed N24,000.
Chris Ngige, Minister of labour, had said the two figures would be sent to President Muhammadu Buhari for approval.
The meeting continued at 10 pm and after two hours of negotiation, both parties agreed on an amount.
Though,Wabba, did not reveal the figure of the new minimum wage arrived at by the committee. He said only the amount would be sent to President Buhari.
According to him, the amount would only be made known publicly after the committee’s report would have been presented to the president by 4.15 pm on Tuesday.
The committee Chairman, Pepple Amma, expressed satisfaction that their assignment had been concluded.